It’s back! Following on from the success of our first Dark Challenge Playmat competition we’re running a second one to find another fantastic piece of art to be used on next year’s playmat. We will also be announcing a new token competition very shortly!
All entries need to be submitted by Midnight on Wednesday 12th November.
The Dark Challenge 2015 Playmat Design Competition
This contest is open to anyone. The winners will have their art turned into a playmat and other promotional merchandise, which will be used as part of the Dark Challenge series!
They will also receive £100!
The art work does not necessarily need to be based on existing MTG cards as long as it is appropriate and relevant to the themes proposed. The runner up artists may be approached to have their work turned into commercial products e.g. more playmats, t-shirts, score pads, pens, etc, so there are plenty of opportunities!
All entries need to be submitted by Midnight on Sunday 16th November. Please submit your entries to – info@Manaleak.com and with “Dark Challenge MTG Playmat Design Competition 2015” as your email subject line.
Voting will be based on a poll hosted by Manaleak on mtgUK and a winner is currently scheduled to be announced by November 24th. Please remember to join the MTG Altered Cards and Artwork Community Facebook Group to discuss pointers with like-minded individuals.
Details regarding the artwork
Overall Design Considerations
Try to use bright colours when designing your image. Remember, however, that large areas of light colour can soil quite quickly. Darker backgrounds will wear the longest before showing dirt. Try to avoid large areas of flat colour, particularly on floor mats. It is better to have a small texture as this helps to disguise any flaws in the manufacturing process. Remember it is a fabric after all.
For borderless mats the safe area is 12mm from each edge. Try to keep all critical graphics and text at least this distance from the edges of the finished mat size. Copy or type should contrast against its background and not be too small or in a type face that is particularly fine.
Try to avoid designing even borders close to the edges of the piece. Please include bleed to the finished size of the mat, for borderless please add a minimum of 5mm bleed. This eases the production process making it possible to be more accurate. See Products for more detailed specs.
The art can be in any medium but we will require a high resolution electronic file for the production of the playmat.
Keep vector images clean using bright colours. If the artwork originates as a vector image, don’t convert it to a raster image. Please save images in eps or AI format and outline the type.
Prepare raster images at no less than 600dpi at 100%. Save as a CMYK file with the profile embedded. Avoid tightly detailed or drab coloured images. The brightest images work best. Please give us -any layered files if you have them.
Bleed Area – 610mm x 320mm
Cropped (Cutter) Area – 600mm x 310mm
Safe Text Area – 590mm x 300mm
If you are ever unsure about any of the technical bits in this competition e.g. image requirements and how to save them etc, then feel free to ask in our MTG Altered Cards and Artwork Community Facebook Group.
Full terms and Conditions
2. Each entrant may submit as many entries they want.
3. This contest is open to any person that wants to enter.
4. Each entry has to be an original piece that has not been previously used commercially for anything similar. Modifying, enhancing or altering someone else’s artwork will not be acceptable.
5. The Contest Organisers assumes all entries are original creations and the work and property of the entrant with all rights granted therein. The participant agrees that Dark Challenge owns the copyright of the submitted image. If the artwork submission is not selected for the Dark Challenge series then Dark Challenge will relinquish the copyright back to the entrant twenty eight working days after the winner/s of the competition has been announced.
6. You may not use someone else’s material, copyright, or intellectual property without permission from the owner of that material/copyright/intellectual property. In cases of doubt, the Contest organisers may request to see the original image file.
7. The Contest Organisers will not be liable for any copyright or intellectual property infringement on the part of the entrant.
8. Voting will be conducted by a public poll in the MTG Altered Cards and Artwork Community Facebook Group
9. After the vote has been finalised, the winner will be asked to submit the original image file for his/her submission for examination. The image will need to be a pdf with an image size 360mm x 180mm at 1200 dpi.
10. If this reveals a breach of contest rules/requirements, the Contest Organisers have the right to disqualify the winner. Failure/refusal to submit the original image file for examination will result in disqualification.
11. The Contest Organisers reserves the rights to, if necessary, modify the rules, voting structure and/or proceedings of the contest.
12. By submitting an entry to this contest, the contestant grants the Contest Organisers the rights to freely publish said image online or in printed media in relation to the contest, without remuneration.
13. In entering your artwork into the contest, the contestant hereby irrevocably grants to Dark Challenge all right, title and interest in and to such creation (including but not limited to the copyright, trademark and other intellectual property rights therein), and any and all ideas and information embodied therein, in perpetuity and throughout the world. If the artwork submission is not selected for the Dark Challenge series then Dark Challenge will relinquish all right, title and interest back to the entrant twenty eight working days after the winner/s of the competition has been announced.
14. Entries may be posted online as part of a voting process to determine the winner.
15. The owner of each artwork submission that is selected for the Dark Challenge series will receive £100. This will be in the form of a Paypal transfer or cheque and will be awarded once the artwork file has been submitted and it has been verified that no competition rules have been broken by the submission.
16. Submissions of an abusive, harmful, harassing, pornographic or similarly unsuitable nature will not be accepted into the contest. The Contest Organisers reserve the right to disqualify any image submitted on any grounds.
17. Entries not complying with any of the rules above will be disqualified from the contest.
18. Entries submitted after Midnight Sunday 16th November will not be eligible for the competition.
19. Please submit your entry to – info@Manaleak.com and with “Dark Challenge MTG Playmat Design Competition 2015” as your email subject line.
For more information and to take part, simply click and join the group below.